11749 – Financial Controller Job Spec
Location: Leicester (Remote Working)
Our Client – a respected Not-For Profit organisation based in Leicester – is seeking a Financial Controller on a full-time basis. This fixed-term-contract assignment (working remotely) is initially for 6 months, but is likely to be extended and – for the right candidate – could become a permanent position in the long-term. The successful candidate will be responsible for the performance & management of the Accounts Payable, Control, Accounts Receivable & Procurement functions, incl. accounts payable, receivables, capital, balance sheet, cash, investments, preparation of year-end accounts & statutory deductions, together with management of procurement support (in-house or outsourced).
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring nominal, purchase & sales ledgers are accurate / kept up-to-date. Monthly preparation of accounts up to trial balance stage,
- Review & regulate existing procedures / policies with all departments. Recommend & implement new systems to improve effectiveness / control and meet changing needs – i.e. new authorisation limits for line managers,
- Ensure adherence to all finance policies / procedures, ensuring adequate division of duties to meet audit requirements. Ensure internal control procedures (incl. authorisation limits) are consistently implemented.
- Maintain accuracy of input into the financial system in order so that the Board may refer to / rely on the integrity of financial information,
- Complete statutory accounts in accordance with UKGAAP, IFRS and charity SORP, ensuring accounts are accurate and submitted in line with agreed timetables,
- Ensure the business meets all statutory obligations for periodical returns… completed accurately within the required timescales, i.e. quarterly VAT returns, annual PAYE returns, pensions deductions,
- Monitor daily cash-flow against expected income & expenditure. Manage working balances to resources are available to finance the business. Reviewing branch bank accounts on a weekly basis to check balances, reviewing annual branch account returns & consolidating into the audited accounts,
- Develop & maintain cash flow system to provide information on long & short-term cash balances, advise Director of Finance in line with company guidelines when to invest cash surpluses to ensure maximum return, and review investments on a regular basis to ensure values are reflected in the Books of Account,
- Contribute to developing strategies & policies, specifically financial regulations & procedures incl. petty cash, debtors, creditors, credit/purchasing cards; procurement / contract management; treasury management & investments; anti-fraud, bribery & corruption; money laundering; capital programme,
- Recruit, train, lead mentor, motivate & develop staff within financial services team to achieve deadlines, agreed work plans & service standards, and to provide a customer focused support service,
- Co-ordinate the annual audit of accounts, attending the risk management, audit committee & Board of Trustees meetings,
- Provide a customer-focused accounting & financial advice service incl. managing expenses, petty cash, processing sales and purchase invoices. Devise & run training for directorates & accounting workshops for branches / treasurer as appropriate,
- Ensure payroll is properly managed & operated effectively, ensuring items such as tax, NI & pension contributions are accounted for. Ensuring all accounting declarations / payments are made in an accurate & timely manner, and year data files are cleared down,
- Maintain oversight of procurement practice within the organisation, taking steps to ensure cost effectiveness / value for money at all times,
- To manage the collection of subscriptions, updating individual membership records on the customer relationship management database and balancing back to the daily reports,
- Working with the Director of Finance as well as external VAT advisers to make recommendations on how to minimise the amount of irrecoverable VAT,
- Responsible for financial accounting service, mentoring and supporting your team’s wellbeing and performance, and maintaining positive working relationships with employees, clients & key stakeholders.
The Right Person
You will possess the following:
- Qualified ACA, CIMA, ACCA or equivalent,
- Experience of working in a senior team, developing strategies, plans & policies and working in unity with the team to communicate & implement the plan,
- Experience of managing & successfully implementing change,
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills with the ability able to understand detailed data & analysis, and reporting key observations / recommendations to non-finance leaders (incl. presentations),
- Demonstrable experience and robust knowledge of accounting principles & practices,
- Have prepared at least TWO sets of year-end accounts for a medium-to-large organisations, incl. producing consolidated statutory accounts, VAT, Corporation tax & other returns,
- Working knowledge of VAT / VAT exempt organisations, working with Internal / External Auditors and taking positive action to minimise fraud,
- Experience of managing a team, incl. management of performance & workloads,
- Experience & understanding of procurement,
- Strong IT skills incl. Microsoft Excel, Word & PowerPoint skills to an advanced standard.
- Appointment Type: Fixed-Term-Contract (min. 6 months, likely to be extended)
- Salary: £45,000 - £52,000 FTE (subject to experience)
- Hours: Full-Time
- Remote Working
- Benefits Incl: Performance Related Pay & Bonus Scheme, Salary Exchange Pension, Private Medical Insurance, Healthcare Cash Plan, Buy/Sell Annual Leave + More
If you – or someone you might know – are interested & think this opportunity may be suitable, APPLY ONLINE or call Paul Mitchell Associates (quoting ref: 11749) on 0116 254 9404.